Monday, February 27, 2006

Finally starting my own blog...

I grew up around technology. Both of my parents are engineers, and I always felt comfortable with computers and electronics. I've tried to stay abreast of the latest technology, always open to trying new things. However when web-logging took off I thought it was no more a vessel of relevance than one's personal diary, with roughly the same readership level.

Then I started reading blogs. Not just those announcing one's daily mood, music selection, and stool content, but blogs discussing news and politics with a degree of curiosity and intellectual honesty that I couldn't find in newspapers, message boards or even rotten.com/news. Combined with my recent transition to RSS for almost every site I used to visit, I can read more interesting news across many websites in much less time. I must say I'm quite hooked now.

So now I'm finally starting my own blog. I hope what I say is entertaining, insightful and unique, but regardless my friends will be much happier with this opt-in means of voicing my opinion, as compared to e-mail. So come back here for amusing stories, political discourse, and my attempt at a Hippie Word of the Week that's new to my vocabulary.

-TexasHippie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff. Out of curisoity, why blogger instead of LJ?

-Jim

Texas Hippie said...

Blogger was bought by google, and given that there is a new google web page hosting service I thought this would integrate nicely with all their offerings. Plus they seem to know how to make slick, easy to use interfaces for editing/publishing. Lastly, I didn't want this to be a journal as much as a blog, and the capabilities I've seen others take advantage of when hosting their blogs here makes it that much more compelling.

Good to have you here Jim!

-Hippie