Monday, February 27, 2006

Word of the Day

I hope to have a regular "word of the day" posting here, though not likely daily. I'm not going to just repost a word of the day from some dictionary website; instead I want to highlight an interesting word that I encounter in my regular surfing which expands or refreshes my vocabulary. This way it'll have relevant context and modern applicability that will serve me (and hopefully you) well later.

So here's today's word: meretricious

1 : of or relating to a prostitute : having the nature of prostitution
2 a : tawdrily and falsely attractive b : superficially significant
Context:
Ever since the war on terrorism began, this meretricious military ruler (Musharraf) has tried to be counted as a U.S. ally while avoiding an all-out campaign against the Islamic extremists in his country... (link)
-TexasHippie

No comments: