Monday, January 01, 2007

Back on the East Coast

I'm back on the East Coast, this time for vacation. You may have noticed an increase in my posting - it's something I genuinely enjoy doing, but I haven't had much time for that recently. One of the things that has been occupying my thoughts is the increasing likelihood is that I will have the opportunity to move up here sooner than I expected. Anything you might claim is bad about the region is something I'd prefer to weather now instead of when I'm older, for the sake of the things are simply fantastic about this area and for the memories I will make. I could move back to Austin in the not-so-distant future, and I genuinely love everything (even the torching summers) about living there; but now may be the best time for a small change. Of course I won't miss news stories about the "Texas-stupid," but there are many counter-examples and I suspect that I'll find not an escape from the negatives but a different bag of positives.

So, my former and present resident Texan readers, what should I keep in mind when making a decision such as this? BTW Steve Gilliard, you'd better stop bitching about red states if you can't understand why others must use your beloved city as a learning experience. My comments from this past summer are still in his blog.

Update: Ugh, this could get nasty. I'm going to write my Texas Congresscritters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a terrible idea. What would your mother think?