Monday, January 01, 2007

I'm still battling with this

From Digby:

In the early days of the war you'll recall that there were a spate of beheadings in Iraq which were videotaped and circulated on the internet. I stupidly watched one of them and wrote:
I watched the video of Berg's beheading and it literally made me sick to my stomach. Do not watch it. It's a barbaric, horrible display of inhumanity. I wish I hadn't seen it. I'll never forget it.
Ditto, and I'm still battling that replay in my head years later. I can't imagine the waking horror that stalks the lives of our country's servicemen. Steve Gilliard found this apropos personal story; Steve's keen eye for others' voiced perspectives is one of his best talents, and I recommend you subscribe to his feed.

Update: It looks like the implications of the Saddam snuff making its way around are more striking than expected:
Saddam Hussein is the the man I would have thought was least likely to be turned into a martyr, but damned if they didn't manage to do it. Bush's Law. And here's the great thing about it --- the US, which claims rather unconvincingly that it had no say in this because Iraq is a sovereign country, gets blamed for this right along with the Shi'a government and Moqtada al Sadr. Terrific. Lose, lose for us --- as usual. Heckuva job, Bushie.
...
It looks to me as if the "government" of Iraq has finally been exposed as a simple factional tool of the Shi'a. Good to know. Too bad for us that we are backing such a government since it gives the vast majority of Muslims around the world another reason to hate our guts.

In case anyone's wondering what the implications of the US taking sides might be:



To the Muslims in the light green portion of the map we seem to be siding with the Muslims in the dark green portion --- while at the same time making them hate us too. Excellent plan. Winning those hearts and minds one snuff film at a time.
That's an amazing map to contemplate.

No comments: